For non-urgent police enquiries call 101 or in an emergency always call 999

Translate this website

The different forms of domestic abuse include (though this list is not exhaustive): 

  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Coercive control or controlling behaviour
  • Emotional abuse
  • Digital or online abuse
  • Honour-based abuse
  • Forced marriage

Controlling behaviour is a range of acts designed to make a person feel insubordinate and/or dependent by isolating them from sources of support. Coercive control is a continuing act of assaults, threats, humiliation and/or intimidation that is used to harm and frighten victims.

This can include (but is not limited to) isolating a person from friends and family, monitoring online activity, taking control over aspects of their everyday life (where they go, who they see), taking control of finances, repeatedly putting them down, threatening to harm or kill them, threatening children and more.

Please know that there is support available if you are suffering domestic abuse. You are not alone. As well as reporting to us online, using the link below, you can call us on 101 or 999 if it is an emergency.

If you call 999 but can’t speak, the operator may ask you to cough or press a button on your phone keypad so they know you’re listening. Once you’ve done this, they’ll ask you to press ‘55’. This is the Silent Solution and tells the operator that you are in emergency need of assistance. They will listen to what they can hear and assess the response that you need.

To report domestic abuse, click here.

(PLEASE BE AWARE - the above link takes you away from this Portal, to the SYP website. Reports made on that site DO NOT display, and are not recorded on this Portal for security and welfare reasons)

Abusers rely on the silence of their victims, please tell someone – if you can’t tell police, tell a family member, or neighbour, or friend.

If you’re worried about a loved one or someone you know, you can also report this to us.

There is also a range of support available across South Yorkshire from a number of specialist agencies. Details can be found on our website here. 

Are you concerned about someone seeing this page on your internet browsing history? Find out how to delete your browsing history Click here

Advice and support regarding domestic abuse can be found here - 

Independent Domestic Abuse Service (IDAS)

National Domestic Abuse Helpline 


See Also / Related